The governors' takers-in of St Thomas' Hospital met weekly to deal with admissions to the hospital. The panel of takers-in included a surgeon and physician and representative governors. This volume records the names of the governors selected to serve on a monthly rotating basis; some individuals might undertake this duty a number of times over several years.
The names of the twelve takers-in selected for each quarter are listed on each page, with the date of their selection and period of appointment. For most of the volume, the names are divided into groups of four for each month, but towards the end of the volume this practice ceases. Sometimes further information is added, such as notes that a taker-in died or did not appear. Early in the volume it is also regularly noted that certain of the takers-in are to inspect the hospital's drugs; this information disappears before 1700.
- McInnes, Eilidh Mary. St Thomas's Hospital, London, and its Archives. Journal of the Society of Archivists, 1 (1959), pp. 277-82.
- McInnes, Eilidh Mary. St Thomas's Hospital. 1963.
- Lawrence, Susan C. Charitable Knowledge: Hospital Pupils and Practitioners in Eighteenth-Century London. Cambridge, 1996.
- London Metropolitan Archives
- The Old Operating Theatre
- AIM25: St Thomas's Hospital Medical School Records
For further reading on this subject see the London Lives Bibliography.
- St Thomas's Hospital, List of Governor's Takers-in, 1690-1765, London Metropolitan Archives, Ms. H01/ST/A/62/001, LL ref: LMTHLT55101, Tagging Level: B