Registering on the London Lives site is free. Your email address is the only piece of personal information we require, and it will remain confidential, and will never be used for commercial purposes or passed on to a third party.
Registering gives you access to an individual Workspace where you can keep documents you are working on; allows you to create Sets by linking individual name instances together; and to assign sets to Groups. It also allows you to author Lives. If you wish to obtain the more advanced capabilities of a Research User, see About this Project.
Registration with London Lives also gives you access to the user facilities of the Old Bailey Proceedings Online, subject to the terms and conditions of that site.
Once you have completed the form below, you will receive an automatically generated email including your username and password. By registering for this site you are agreeing to abide by the terms and conditions outlined below.
Although we need to retain a database including the email address of all registered users, you will not be contacted except in response to a request to be reminded of your password or username; or if information stored in your personal workspace is in danger of being corrupted or deleted. Your email will not be passed on to third parties or used to distribute any other information of any kind. Statistics based on the number of registered users, and their IP addresses, may be generated from the database of registered users from time to time.
The London Lives project team reserves the right to close down any registered user's account, and to expunge their saved data without prior warning, if they are found to have breached the site's Copyright and Citation guidelines, or posted inappropriate, libellous or offensive material on the site.
The London Lives project will endeavour to the best of its ability to preserve all the information you contribute, whether as roles, sets, groups or lives, but it cannot be held responsible for any accidental loss of data. Any information which is of vital importance to you should be backed up separately.
By signing up for a user account you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.
- You should not register more than one user account or publish under multiple identities. You do not have to give your real name, although we encourage you to do so.
- All information contributed must be as accurate as possible. Any deliberate attempt to provide misleading or incorrect material will result in the immediate cancellation of your account.
- You may not use this website and London Lives wiki for any commercial or political activity.
- If you use your London Lives user account to access the Old Bailey Proceedings Online user facilities, you must also abide by the separate Terms and Conditions of that site.
- The London Lives project team reserves the right to delete any inappropriate pages or material.
- You must show respect and consideration for other users at all times.
- You may not publish anything that is abusive, threatening, malicious, defamatory, or unlawful.
- You may not publish anything obscene, racist, sexist or homophobic (we reserve the right within reason to determine the meaning of these categories).
- This site is for factual material relating to the documents and sources posted on the London Lives website only. Fictional material will be removed without notice.
- Contributed material should be supported by references to reliable primary and/or secondary sources. Unverifiable material is liable to be removed without notice.
- You should take special care if you publish material referring to sensitive topics such as sexual crimes or the subjects prohibited above. (Be aware that we have spam blocking measures in place on the site which may automatically reject attempts to publish certain words or expressions.)
- You may edit and revise material contributed by other users, but you should do so with care and consideration. Do not delete or change material posted by other users for no good reason.
- You cannot place any restrictions on changes that may be made to your contributions; if you are not comfortable with this, this website and wiki may not be a suitable environment for you. If, however, you believe that someone is maliciously vandalising material (your own or anyone else's), please contact us and we'll investigate as soon as possible.
- We take no responsibility for the safe storage of any work published on this website and wiki. We strongly recommend that you retain safe backup copies of all your contributions to the site, including unsaved drafts of pages.
- You may not publish any personal information (home addresses, phone numbers, or other personal details such as birth dates) about any living person.
- Be very careful about providing personal information about yourself. Once such information has been published, it cannot easily be erased. We would strongly advise against publishing a home address or telephone number in wiki pages.
- You may not pass off the work of others as your own. You may not publish anything that contravenes copyright laws. If you reuse material from any other published source (including your own work), you must ensure that you have permission to do so, and that you fully acknowledge the author and any other copyright holders.
- All material published on this website and London Lives wiki is covered by a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike Licence. (Your own copies and versions of your work published elsewhere are unaffected by this licence.) What this means is that anyone is free to copy, distribute and display any of the material, and to make derivative works of it, subject to the following conditions:
- See also Copyright and Citation